Sage – (Salvia officinalis)
Sage has beautiful silver green leaves and violet blue flowers. A little bitter and camphoric taste, reminiscent of mint in flavour and fragrance, but is stronger and more pungent. Use sparingly as sage has a very strong taste.
Sage comes from the Mediterranean countries. But is grown a lot in China, and used there as a tea beverage with a meal. Sage came to the Nordic region through monasticism. Medically it has been used as a panacea for centuries and it has a lowering effect on blood sugar. Salvia is used in cough medicine to dissolve phlegm and relieve coughing. In addition it is used in many toothpastes.
* Suitable for almost all meat dishes. One of the best seasoning for lamb and game, removes fat flavor from food and enhances the meat’s own flavor.
* For pork: Add sage leaves between the chops in a couple of hours before frying / grilling. Provides good taste and removes grease taste.
* Also suitable for liver and blood dishes and seasoning of oily sea fish.
* In addition to suits the sage cabbage, onion and tomato dishes.
* Excellent for seasoning of lentils and various legumes and cheese.
* Parsley and rosemary goes well with the sage.
* Fits well with garlic cream cheese: base used unseasoned processed cheese or a mixture of margarine and Kesella 1:1.
* Used in marinades and dressings.
Seed pods are compressed ecological peat pods. Just add the seeds of your choice. The peat pod has a diameter of 5 cm, and when placed in water they expand to a height of 6 cm. Unused seed pods remains usable for many years, and are ready to grow fresh herbs and salads as soon as it is placed in water. The package contains two seed pods.
Tregrens’s seed pods are an easy and effective way to grow any plant of your choice. Everyone will be a successful gardener with Tregren’s seed pods, especially when they are placed in Genie Kitchen Garden or Herbie Indoor Garden. Fresh herbs and lettuces will be ready for cooking and eating in 3-8 weeks depending on the plant.
How to use:
Put the pod in a vessel with water for 5 minutes. Gently press the seed paper against the pod until it is totally moist and move the pod to your Tregren Indoor Garden.
Commercial herb pot growing:
Remove the plastic cover from the herb, and place it with the pot in a Herbie. Remove all interspersed and shrivelled leaves and stems. Add the nutrients in the water.
When you buy herbs from the store, always check that the leaves do not have dark areas. This means that the plant has got frostbite, and it most probably will not recover. Do not buy an herb or plant where the soil in the pot is dry. This could mean that the roots are damaged and it will be partly decayed.